Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Citizen Chronomaster CTQ57-0961 Date Change Over from 2/28 to 3/1

Last night I shot this two minute and fifty seconds HD video showing the perpetual calendar complication of the A660 Citizen Chronomaster in all its glory:



The date change starts to take place at around 12:00:17 AM.

The A660 movement in the Citizen Chronomaster uses a high speed motor (10,000 revolutions per minute) that drives the calendar wheel and it is fully independent from the motors that drive the hour/minute and seconds hands.

2 comments:

Spin Doctor said...

I remember the first time I managed to notice the date change on a perpetual calendar watch and being confused for a few seconds that it was actually changing over at midnight rather then the 90 minute drunken crawl to flip that we are accustomed to with the analogue change.

Someone told me a rumor that the instant flip date change seen with the Seiko 9F caliber is the reason that that particular caliber does not have a perpetual calendar. I don't know about you, but I'd take the perpetual calendar every time. Today is March 4th and I happen to be wearing my only non-perpetual calendar quartz watch and I'm off 3 days.

JapanWatchConnection said...

Indeed. I plan to make a short video of the day/date change on my Grand Seiko SBGT037. It happens way too fast, like 1/2,000th of a second!

The calendar change system in the Grand Seiko 9F quartz movements is spring lever activated and this is likely the reason why Seiko has not seek to add a Perpetual Calendar complication to these watches.

I too, prefer Perpetual Calendars but there is something cool about this one too. Seiko guarantees the day/date change to take place between 12:00-12:05AM.