Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

New Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001 Arrival

I had the pleasure of receiving this beauty just about 2 weeks ago from Mr. Joe Kirk at Arizona Fine Time (www.azfinetime.com). AZFT was the first Grand Seiko dealer to offer these wonderful watches in the US as of late 2010.

This year I set out to get a couple of Seiko Spring Drive grails and decided on the Ananta SPS007 SD Chrono and the GS SGBGE001 SD GMT as "40th birthday" presents. Indeed, once you get over the hill it is crucial to have some fine timepieces for the journey into the golden years :P

In between been very busy in between schedules, I simply did not have the time/tranquility to sit down and immerse myself into this sublime watch.

So... Better later than never, eh?

Much has been said and written about this watch over the years, so I'll let my humble pictures do much of the talking.

And here it goes.... The official unboxing ceremony of the mighty SBGE001 8) :




Typical of Grand Seiko packaging, this is the outer card box sleeve. I have no idea what the Japanese text says, but if anyone does, please let me know....


Then you are presented with a nice "leatherette" 2-piece box.....


Removing the top box cover you are greeted by a sheet of genuine Japanese rice paper....



Finally, you get to the velvety blue fabric presentation box. On the left you have the customary set of papers.... Instruction manual, warranty booklet and a nice guide to the "Seiko Spring" movement.


Drum roll please!...... Here is the SBGE001 still wearing its factory protective plastic film cover....


Removing the plastic film protector reveals the must stunning dial, crystal and bezel your eyes have ever been laid on a watch...


Detail of the still unsized bracelet, clasp and hang tag. Never seen a GS tag without the retail price in Yen

;)


This watch is pure awesomeness, no other way to put it...



Side profile of the case.... "Zaratsu" blade polish mirror finishing at its finest....

Check out the slightly domed dual curved sapphire crystal. The sapphire 24 hour bezel goes from black to different shades of grey depending on the ambient light reflection.




And finally a group shot of the two grails for year 2011....



The Ananta is definitely larger and bigger of the two (As well as heavier). Amazing we are just taking about less than 3-4mm difference...


These watches are definitely worth it. In all honesty, I could live without R/C, solar multi function quartz. I know I need one (Make that two), but these have a of their own magic that is hard to put in words. The essence of the watch in its purest form..


Hope you enjoyed. I plan to size the bracelet myself on Thursday and I'll have some wrist takes shortly after that.

Many thanks to Joe and Arizona Fine Time not only for this sublime watch but their superb service, courtesy, candor, professionalism and price. I will be returning to AZFT for my next Grand Seiko purchase. Highly recommended.

No comments: