Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Some Comments about the Seiko Orange Monster SKX781

I wasn’t planning on writing a review of the Seiko Monster. Its been around for so many years and there’s been so many owners that the internet is already saturated with bad-ass Monster content. But its been a slow year and I’m running out of watches to write reviews for.
Photobucket




Looking at the new Monster models to be released made me take a little more notice of the old orange guy sitting in my box. It doesn’t get worn as much as it should. I kinda have to be in the mood for something orange and to be honest I’ve lost a lot of interest in mechanical watches.

But is there any better beach watch around? Mine always travels with me while on vacation.

It still surprises me that Seiko can deliver the construction of the Monster for less than $200 US. Really makes me question the absurd profit margins on watches that cost more than my car.

And the lume. It brings out the childhood fascination in all of us.

Its a shame Seiko stopped using the cool etched caseback a couple of years ago. I think it looks so much better than the standard Tsunami.

One of my favorite things about the Monster is the photobombs. Guys post state of the collection full of expensive Swiss stuff and you can always count on finding a Monster hidden in the back.

Sure its not perfect. The sudden step down from the 20mm link to the 18mm link is strange to say the least. Sure the hands are usually painted sloppily on the edges. Sure the movement is an entry level mechanical movement that doesn’t hack and handwind and often times seems to have a mind of its own. Even with these short comings, we accept the Monster for what it is.

The watch collecting world is a better place because of the Monster. Hopefully as the current model fades into the sunset it will be replaced by another high value model with unique design and solid construction.

Dimensions
Crystal 30mm
Bezel 42mm
Case 42mm
Case with crown 47mm
Lug width 20mm
Lug to Lug 48mm
Thickness 13mm



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: